PROFESSOR THADDEUS LOWE
John R. Haug
Marblehead Reporter, The (MA) - Friday, January 23, 2009
Author: GateHouse News Service
John Rowland Haug of South Freeport, Maine, formerly of Marblehead,
died peacefully at home on January 16, 2009, with his wife of 62 years,
Hope, by his side.
He was born in Philadelphia on July 20, 1918, the son of John Sobieski
Haug and Mary Pearson Haug. He was the great-grandson of Thaddeus S. C.
Lowe , Civil War balloonist.
Mr. Haug grew up in Philadelphia and attended Chestnut Hill Academy and
the University of Pennsylvania, from which he graduated in 1940 with a
Bachelor of Arts degree and in 1942 with a Bachelor of Science degree
in mechanical engineering.
Commissioned in the U.S. Naval Reserve in 1942 as an ensign, he
attended postgraduate school at the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis,
Md., where he was in charge of the academy's sailing program,
graduating in 1943 from the course in Naval Architecture and Marine
Engineering. Subsequently, he was assigned to the Portsmouth Naval
Shipyard and later to the USS Holland (AS-3), a submarine tender
operating in the Central Pacific. At the end of World War II, he was
assigned to the Occupation Forces in Japan, arriving on the island the
week after Japan surrendered.
Upon release from active naval duty, Mr. Haug returned to the United
States and was employed by the Boston engineering firm of Jackson &
Moreland and successor firm United Engineers & Constructors (now
Raytheon Engineers and Constructors). During his 36 years with that
firm, he was responsible for numerous consulting assignments, both in
the U.S. and abroad, principally in the field of steam and electric
power, including design and construction of large electric utility
generating stations. He was responsible for the engineering and
construction of Central Maine Power Co.'s William F. Wyman Station on
Cousin's Island in Yarmouth, Maine.
In 1946, he married the former Hope Wilson of Winchester and Kittery
Point, Maine. They lived in Marblehead for 36 years, moving to South
Freeport, Maine, in 1983 upon his retirement.
Active in the Episcopal Church, he was vestryman, warden and treasurer
of St. Michael's Church, Marblehead and chairman of the Building
Committee at St. Bartholomew's Church in Yarmouth. More recently, he
was a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Brunswick. Mr. Haug's
family was instrumental in founding All Saints by-the-Sea Chapel on
Bailey Island, where he worshipped every summer.
A lifelong summer resident of Bailey Island, he was keenly interested
in sailing. He was a member of the Eastern Yacht Club of Marblehead, as
well as the Merriconeag Yachting Association of Harpswell, where he
served a number of years as commodore.
He and his family spent 30 years skiing at Sugarloaf. Mr. Haug was
active in the Navy League and served as a director. He was a life
member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and the U.S.
He is survived by his wife, Hope; three children, Sarah Haug Murphy and
her husband, Sugden, of New Castle, N.H., John Blanchard Haug and his
wife, Claudia, of Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., and Anne Pendleton Winter
and her husband, Eric, of Readfield, Maine; eight grandchildren; and
A memorial service will be held Saturday, January 24, at 10 at St.
Paul's Episcopal Church in Brunswick, Maine. A private burial will be
held at a later date. Arrangements are in the care of Brackett Funeral
Home of Brunswick, Maine.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made to Mid-Coast
Hospital, Brunswick or Hospice Volunteers in Midcoast Maine, Brunswick.
BEFORE THE WAR
CIVIL WAR YEARS
INVENTIONS AND INDUSTRY
PASADENA CALIFORNIA YEARS
MOUNT LOWE RAILWAY
AFTER THE RAILWAY
BOOKS ABOUT LOWE
EVENTS AND REUNIONS
ARTIFACTS AND HISTORY
ACCLAMATIONS AND AWARDS
LINKS TO OTHER THADDEUS LOWE WEBSITES